First, make the freezer your best friend. I know, food doesn't taste the same, vegetables loose their vitamins, and just the thought of a frozen dinner makes you want to run out for Wendy's. I agree, I feel the same way. On the other hand, you will find that virtually every meal you can get on a drive through has at least one component that has served time in a freezer. The key is to know what to put there and what to leave for the fridge.
Some things I buy frozen
- Mixed Vegetable bags. I find Target to have the biggest variety. They make a very quick side for any dish.
- Harshbrowns, southern style. As a matter of fact, any type of potatoes. Wedges, regular fries, criss-cut fries. Because potatoes just take too long to peel, cut and cook. And admit it, you do crave that greasy fries flavor once in a while.
- Berries. I haven't bought them yet, but I figure I will in this year of cooking. I'm excited to use them for desserts.
- Cut and seasoned meats. Like those chicken buffalo wings.
- Random exotics. Indian, Asian, Swedish... they're all there, in the frozen section!
- Chopped onion. Very useful because the onion will go bad before I get to use it entirely.
- Chopped bell peppers. Being single, I haven't had a chance to use a whole bell pepper in any meal yet. They seem to preserve their taste quite well. At almost $2 a piece, use a bit and freeze away!
- Baby corn. I usually get it in a can, but just as everything else, there is always a lot left over. Mmhhh... leaving it in a can for days, not that healthy. Zipbag in freezer, much better!
- Bread. It seems very common around here, but this really gets me. Maybe it's my European upbringing, the tradition of getting fresh bread everyday. Maybe it's the gross flavor that bread has after freezing. Choose your favorite reason. I'll never freeze bread.
- Olive oil. Freezer or fridge, the cold will make any homemade dressing look like... something you won't like.
You are stinking hilarious Marta. I'm so glad you are doing this blog. I miss our random roommate conversations. I think your blogposts will effectively fill the void. :-)
ReplyDeleteMake some cheese cake with those berries you're going to buy. Good idea about freezing the onion. Ore-Ida Extra Crispy Fries are delicious, I get them in the frozen section.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy your blog!